One of my favorite movies is “High Fidelity”. I love all of the characters, but most of all, I love their Top Five lists. They have one for every occasion, whether it’s breakup songs, songs about death, or songs to play on a Monday morning. Considering this is a blog about raising hell, it’s only fitting that I present my own Top Ten list in alphabetical order. Instead, this time I decided to go all Baskin-Robbins on you and list thirty-one.
Did I miss one? Please let me know below.
- “Bad Reputation” – Joan Jett https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAQXg0IdfI
There was a family in my hometown that every mother told us to stay away from. They told us that nothing good was ever going to come of them. Well, they all turned out to be lawyers, engineers and highly skilled professionals when they grew up. And what happened to the kids of the mothers who warned us, you ask? They ended up divorced, broke or in jail.
- “Child Of The Wild Blue Yonder” – John Hiatt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw5VCDRE0GQ
One of the greatest songwriters of all time. Every time I hear it, I think of my own girls borrowing the car, picking up their friends and going out for a night of adventure.
- “Highway to Hell” – AC/DC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l482T0yNkeo
Even cranked up to 11, I could never understand what the singer was saying but it didn’t matter. With a chorus like this, you get the idea.
- “Low Places” – Garth Brooks http://vimeo.com/77837419
Most people wouldn’t place this song in their top ten but not all hellraising revolves around being overly rowdy. Just showing up can sometimes be as powerful as trashing the place…but it doesn’t hurt to grab a glass of champagne and kick over a chair on the way out either.
- “Rebel Yell” – Billy Idol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdphvuyaV_I
When words can’t say it, just snarl with your upper lip.
- “My Generation” – The Who https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594WLzzb3JI
The Who nearly invented smashing guitars and trashing hotel rooms. It wasn’t an act either. This song is timeless too as it resonates with every generation.
- “Eighteen” – Alice Cooper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXZcJojTucg
Everyone can relate to this one. It is the quintessential coming of age song and I remember playing it until I wore out the player.
- “The Only Hell Mama Ever Raised” – Johnny Paycheck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-5UixBFqIw
The list wouldn’t be complete without a song about mama. This is Hank Williams III’s version. Hank III comes from a long line of hellraisers worthy of their own separate article.
- “The More I Drink” – Blake Shelton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MGfJ3eMGA
I’m not condoning this lifestyle but this song makes you just wanna hang out with this guy.
- “You Never Even Call Me By Me By My Name”– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qfujQ_jTQ
Every jukebox in the world should have this song on it.
THESE SONGS DIDN’T MAKE THE TOP TEN BUT ARE DEFINITELY WORTH MENTIONING
- “A Good Hearted Woman” – Waylon and Willie
This says it all about relationships.
- “All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over” – Hank Williams Jr.
I know this song has been ran into the ground but it’s still classic.
- “Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers” – ZZ Top
Everything about ZZ Top makes you wanna get up and howl at the moon.
- “Fifteen Men (Bottle of Rum)” – Traditional
The original pirate bad boy anthem.
- “Get Off Of My Cloud” – The Rolling Stones
This band defined that rock ‘n roll bad boy image.
- “Hellraiser” – (Ozzy Osborne/Motorhead)
I prefer Motorhead’s version but Ozzie cannot be overlooked.
- “If The Good Die Young” – Tracy Lawrence
Some of the best country lyrics I’ve ever heard.
- “If You Wanna Get To Heaven” – Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Great advice here.
- “Mud On The Tires” – Brad Paisley
This is how you raise hell in a vehicle.
- “My Way”– The Sex Pistols
They definitely did it their way.
- “Raise a Little Hell” – Trooper
Just love this chorus.
- “Raise Hell” – Brandi Carlile
Just happen to stumble across this one but what a great one.
- “Rebel Rebel” – David Bowie
Everything about Bowie wreaks rebel.
- “Rebel” – Tom Petty
I was born a Rebel….
- “Roar” – Katy Perry
This anthem is an instant classic.
- “Straight Outta Hell” – Hank Williams III
It’s all about attitude.
- “The Drunken Scotsman” – Bryan Bowers
Some of the funniest lyrics about drinking and love.
- “The Wanderer” – Dion
One of the first modern day rebel songs.
- “Wanted Man” – Johnny Cash
The Man in Black was the ultimate rebel.
- “We Are Young” – Fun
This song captures what it is to be in the moment.
- “We’re Not Gonna Take It” – Twisted Sister
Another anthem style chorus that just makes you want to sing along.